St. Constantine’s International School was founded in 1952 by the Greek immigrant community that originally settled in East Africa in the 1920s and 1930s. Numbering 4,000 – 5,000, the Greek community in East Africa settled and prospered in agriculture, mining and business, and sent their children to board at St. Constantine’s where they could get instruction in Greek language, culture and religion. The school’s original classrooms were next to the town’s only Greek Orthodox Church. Though our school is secular and non-denominational, welcoming pupils from every religion and culture, the church itself still exists as part of our 35 acre campus with services on a Sunday morning for the local community.
By the mid-1960s, SCIS had evolved into an English-medium school and, in 1998, adopted the Cambridge International Curriculum
From its humble conception in 1952, when it had fewer than 30 students and two teachers, the school has evolved into an outstanding international school of 650 students, 60 teachers and over 100 support staff. St. Constantine’s is renowned for both our sports and academic achievements. The school is owned by the Hellenic Foundation of Tanzania, a not-for-profit organisation, who ensures that the school can continue to contribute to the country which welcomed their ancestors over 90 years ago. Proud of its Greek heritage and its international quality education, and committed to serving the educational needs of Tanzania’s middle class as well as the expatriate community, St. Constantine’s is looking into a very bright future educating the country’s and the continent’s future leaders.
Chairman of the Board:
David Marshall B.A., M.A. (Cantab)
Educated at Brighton College and Cambridge University, David spent 22 years at St. Bees School in the UK where he held the posts of Head of English, Boarding Housemaster and Deputy Headmaster. Thereafter, he moved to Kenya as Headmaster of Hillcrest Secondary School, a post that he held for seven years before becoming Headmaster of Peponi School for 11 years. Since retirement, he has been working on the establishment of a Memorial Centre, dedicated to celebrate the life of Jomo Kenyatta and Kenya’s movement towards independence.
Members of the Board:
Michalis Mavrokefalos (Chair of the HFT)
Tony Macfadyen (Headmaster)